Breast Reconstruction Pros and Cons You Need to Consider
Breast cancer is a terrifying
disease especially since it often involves surgery which can be
disfiguring. A radical mastectomy can drastically affect your
body which can be traumatic both physically and
emotionally.However, if you
are facing a radical mastectomy or have had one, you may also
opt to have breast reconstruction surgery.
If you want to have this procedure done, you need to weigh the
pros and cons before going under the knife. Since there is
really no rush to have breast reconstruction done, you have
time to weigh your options.
First let's think about the pros of having this
procedure done. Here is a short list of possible
1. If the surgery is successful, you may look a lot
better after having breast reconstruction.
2. If the surgery is successful, you may feel more
comfortable with your body after the operation.
3. You may spend the rest of your life feeling more
normal than if you didn't have breast reconstruction
Now let's take a good look at some of the possible cons to
having breast reconstruction done:
1. Your new reconstructed breast will never feel like it
2. There are dangers inherent in any surgical procedure,
such as the possibility of suffering from infection.
3. There is the distinct possibility that you won't he happy
with how you look after you've had the surgery done.
4. There will be scars in the area of the surgery and in the
area where your surgeon took fat and muscles to make your new
5. You may be very unhappy with what becomes of the donor
site on your body and whatever results on these parts of your
body may be permanent.
6. You may be expecting to have just one surgery performed
when you have your breast reconstructed, but more than one
surgery may be required.
7. You may suffer from severe buyer's remorse after your
breast reconstruction surgery, but it will be too late.
Will breast reconstruction be worthwhile for you to undergo?
Will the benefits outweigh the possible negative results?
Now you've read about some of the pros and cons that you
need to think about before going under the knife. Think about
your choice very carefully before you decide what to do.The
results of your decision will probably affect you for the rest
of your life.